Woldingham is set high on the North Downs more than 700 feet above sea level. It is recorded as Wallingeham in the Domesday Survey of 1086, when it formed part of the estates of Richard of Tonbridge, son of Count Gilbert, and it was occupied by a certain 'John'. In the days of King Edward the Confessor (1042-1066) Woldingham had been held by Wulfstan. 'John' may have been an ancestor of the various generations of John de Waltons, who held the manor throughout much of the 13th century.
The manor then became a possession of the de Clare family until 1422, when it passed to Humphrey, Earl of Stafford, who was created Duke of Buckingham in 1444. It was held by the Duke's third son, John, Earl of Wiltshire, who died in 1473 and then by Edward, Duke of Buckingham from 1499. He was found guilty of treason in 1521 and beheaded. His estates were then forfeited to the king, Henry VIII. Woldingham was later granted to Sir John Gresham, who died in 1556, but it remained in his family until 1650 when it was sold to Henry Bynes. The Bynes family retained possession until 1795.
No church is recorded in Domesday but the tiny church of St Agatha, claimed as the smallest in the county of Surrey, must have Medieval origins. It was rebuilt in 1832 and restored in 1890. Views of it survive prior to 1832 showing it to have been a simple barn-like structure without tower, spire or even bell turret. St Agatha's was replaced as the parish church by St Paul's in 1933 but the old church has been retained.
Woldingham Station opened in 1885 as 'Marden Park', the name being changed in 1894. The railway from here runs south east to Oxted but cannot be seen as it is hidden in a long tunnel deep beneath the Downs.
Woldingham has changed in the last hundred years from a 'tiny downland hamlet ... to very leafy suburb', to quote one source. Indeed, Woldingham is famous for the fine trees which cover its steep-sided valleys and hide a range of quality houses.