West Byfleet History
In medieval times West Byfleet was a sparsely populated area within the manor of Byfleet. The name, which simply means 'by the fleet (or River Wey)', formed part of the estates of Chertsey Abbey from the 7th century but by 1312 it was held by King Edward II.
The River Wey was made navigable from the Thames near Weybridge to Guildford in 1653 and this must given trade and industry in the area a boost. West Byfleet is built on land between the River Wey and the main railway line from London, Waterloo. The line was opened in 1838 but there was insufficient population in this area to justify a station at the time.
Development at West Byfleet began after a railway station was finally opened here in 1887, but much of the residential building here belongs to the 20th century. In 1927 another station, up the line to the north east and originally called 'West Weybridge', was opened. It was renamed 'Byfleet and New Haw' in 1961.