The village of Tandridge was of great local importance in earlier times as it gave its name to the Tandridge Hundred, a Saxon administrative unit. It was here that the tithingmen of the hundred met and they came from, for example, Bletchingley, Caterham, Godstone, Lingfield and Warlingham, to name just a few of the places within the hundred. Since 1974 Tandridge has also given its name to a modern administrative unit, a district council.
Tandridge is first recorded, as 'Tenhric', in surviving documents in about 965 A.D. The origin of the first element of the name is obscure. In the Domesday Survey of 1086 Tandridge was occupied, unusually, by a woman described as 'Salie's wife' and she held it from Richard of Tonbridge, son of Count Gilbert. A mill is recorded but no church. A church almost certainly existed at the time and the present parish church of St Peter has some 11th century features. Much of the rest of the church is early 14th century with 19th century additions.
During the medieval period there was a priory here for 'Canons Regular of St Augustine', who were more popularly known as 'Austin Canons'. It was an early victim of the Dissolution, when it was closed by Henry VIII in 1536. Its canons were dispersed but the prior himself was paid off with a pension. Nothing but the priory fishponds can be traced today.
Henry was drawing up plans to build a new palace at Oatlands, near Weybridge, but the manor there was owned by William Rede, a London goldsmith. The king persuaded Rede to part with Oatlands in return for Tandridge. Rede would, of course, have had little choice in the matter, but in Tudor times a prime site near the River Thames was infinitely better than a then obscure East Surrey location.