Shepperton, possibly meaning 'the habitation of shepherds', was recorded as 'Scepertone' in the Domesday Survey of 1086. It was held by the abbot of St Peter's, Westminster and had 1 weir, which was important for its eel traps.
No church is mentioned in Domesday but it is possible that a chapel existed here before 1066. The medieval church of St Nicholas at Shepperton was destroyed by a great flood during the winter of 1605/06 and a new church was built on a site about 300 yards away from the original low-lying site by the River Thames. It was completed in 1614 and a tower was added about a century later.
In the 18th and early 19th centuries Shepperton became famous as the location of many bare-knuckled prize fights, where matches often lasted hours, with dozens of rounds, until one contestant was bludgeoned into submission. Gambling was rife and often huge sums of money changed hands. These fights were illegal and, at the approach of authority, boats were quickly on hand to transport fighters and fans away across the river.
The railway came to Shepperton in 1864 and the intention was to continue the line across the High Street and eventually to reach Chertsey. Because of much local opposition the line past Shepperton was never built and the station here is still the terminus of the line. After 1864 commuters began to arrive at Shepperton and much of the adjacent farmland was developed for housing. But the heart of Shepperton remains an attractive village and it retains a great deal of character.