Frimley is first recorded in 933 A.D. as 'Fremeley', meaning 'Freema's clearing' from a personal name. Frimley was not recorded in the Domesday Survey of 1086, probably because it formed part of the Henley Manor at Ash. It may have been the land which was purchased by the abbot of Chertsey, Richard de Winton, in 1277. Land in 'Fremelesworth' was held from the abbey by William de Henley in 1324.
When Chertsey Abbey was dissolved in 1537 Frimley passed to Henry VIII. In 1573 it was granted to Sir John White of nearby Aldershot and then it passed by marriage to the Tichborne family who retained ownership until the 19th century.
In ecclesiastical matters Frimley was a chapel of Ash. The present church of St Peter was built in 1825 to replace a wooden chapel with a thatched roof , apparently constructed in 1606. This wooden chapel must, in turn, have been a replacement for a chapel which certainly existed here by the reign of Edward VI (1547-1553). The church of St Andrew at Frimley Green was built in 1911.
The Basingstoke Canal was opened in 1794 and its construction through Surrey was a major engineering feat requiring the building of 28 locks. The canal left the Wey Navigation (opened 1653) near Byfleet and passed north of Old Woking and Pirbright before reaching Frimley Hill. Here a huge cutting had to be dug through the hill - it was 1000 yards long and 70 feet deep in places. It became known as 'Deepcut' and gave its name to the adjacent area.
The building of Frimley Park Hospital in the grounds of Frimley Park, an 18th century house, began in 1970. The hospital is now one of the most important in the area.
The railway station at Frimley opened in 1878 and gradually the village was transformed into a popular residential area. It has still managed to retain a number of ancient buildings, some of which date back to the 15th century.