Chiddingfold is not recorded in the Domesday Survey of 1086 probably because it formed part of the manor of Godalming. It is first mentioned in surviving documents in about 1130 when it was recorded as 'Chedelingefelt'. It has been suggested that the name means the 'fold of the dwellers in the hollow'.
In the 13th century Chiddingfold was given to the Bishop of Salisbury and in 1300 Edward I granted the bishop the right to hold a fair here on the eve, day and morrow of the Nativity of St Mary (7th - 9th September). At the same time came the right to hold a weekly market each Tuesday. The parish church of St Mary has many 13th century features but was extensively restored in 1869.
Between the 13th and 16th centuries Chiddingfold developed as a nationally important centre for the manufacture of glass. Locally produced charcoal was used to fire the furnaces and all the ingredients of glass were readily available in the area. Both glass vessels and window glass were produced. In 1352 a Chiddingfold glassworks supplied large quantities of glass for St Stephen's Chapel at Westminster and, in 1356, the same works supplied the glass for the windows of St George's Chapel at Windsor.
Glassmaking and also the production of iron in this part of Surrey seriously depleted the oak forests, which was of great concern to the government. Timber was increasingly in demand for the ships of England's growing navy and the government was anxious to conserve stocks. Statutes were passed to control the amount of timber taken for the production of charcoal. However, it was the development of coal-fired furnaces which finally took these industries away to other parts of England in the 17th century. Latterly Chiddingfold took advantage of the many ash trees growing in the area and factories producing walking sticks and umbrella handles were active until very recently.
Chiddingfold is famous for its many fine timber-framed houses dating from the 16th century and even earlier and also for its attractive village green.