Addlestone is not recorded until 1241 when it was known as 'Attelsdene', meaning 'Attel's valley', from a personal name. The name gradually became corrupted to its present form by the 18th century. Some localities in Addlestone such as Crockford Bridge were recorded at a much earlier date. 'Crocford', possibly meaning 'the ford where the pots were thrown down' has references that may go back to c.675 A.D. Addlestone formed part of the estates held by Chertsey Abbey until the abbey was dissolved in 1537.
A famous tree known as the Crouch Oak grows beside the main road linking Addlestone with Chertsey. Its girth is over 26 feet and it is thought to be at least 800 years old.
Addlestone formed part of the parish of Chertsey but, in 1836, a separate church, St Paul's, was built and Addlestone became a separate ecclesiastical district two years later. In 2004 the church suffered a serious fire necessitating extensive restoration.
The railway was opened to Addlestone in 1848 and gradually this small village began to expand. It is now a popular residential area.
In 1909 Louis Blériot became the first man to fly the Channel when he crashed landed near Dover Castle. Blériot was an aircraft builder as well as a pioneer pilot and in 1916 he opened an aircraft factory at Addlestone. After the First World War the factory also made Blériot cars. In 1928 it was taken over by Weymann's, who specialised in building motor vehicle bodies including ambulances, lorries and even prison vans. However, most of their production was based around building buses and thousands of London Transport buses were constructed here.